Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all-India examination administered and conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology on behalf of the National Coordinating Board - GATE, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. Admission to postgraduate programmes with MHRD and some other government scholarship/assistantship at engineering colleges/institutes in the country are open to those who qualify through GATE.
GATE qualified candidates are also eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR Laboratories and CSIR sponsored projects. Some government organizations prescribe GATE qualification as a requirement for applying to the post of a Scientist / Engineer/Lecturer.
PSUs signed MoU with GATE
The following public sector undertakings (PSUs) have already signed MoUs with GATE for using GATE 2014 score as screening tool for recruiting engineers at entry level positions.
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- National Fertilizers Ltd.
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation Ltd.
- National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) Ltd.
- NTPC Ltd.
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
- Vizag Steel Plant
- GAIL (INDIA) Limited
- Mineral Exploration Corporation Ltd.
- Mazagon Dock Limited
- National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO)
- RITES Limited
- National Projects Construction Corporation Limited (NPCC)
- RailTel Corporation of India Ltd.
- Telecommunications Consultants India Limited
Many other PSUs are also processing the MoU and these are in progress.